Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The connectivity conundrum.

When trying to get some serious time in Eva the biggest issue has been the lack of a reliable connection to the world through voice and data. 

It is well documented that camp site wifi is not worth the time of day at most places and satellite connections are spendy and complex.  This leaves us road warriors with the delights of the cell network and trying to harvest as much signal as possible while pushing out as much as possible too.

Enter the cell booster.

There a couple of companies that back these delightful contraptions.  I decided on the Wilson unit, it covers all the main carriers/bands, rolls from 4G down and has pretty little lights to tell you what it is doing.  I am pairing this with a pair of surecall 9.5” omni directional stuck on the roof.  I have gone for 2 so I get to optimize the field of view without having the darn things on 20ft poles.  It also allows us to use one for wifi and one for cell stuff.  Just incase the wifi is there!

All of this gets pumped into the little SOTG access point.

Now, I am a pretty handy guy, but I am letting the AS dealer cut holes and mount stuff for me.  I should have Eva back over the weekend.  can’t wait to test it all out, we are getting serious AS withdrawal!



No comments:

Post a Comment